This is one of the most delicious soups I have ever tasted! Its sweet and spicy undertone gives it the perfect twist, just enough to call it a gourmet dish. Make it for your family and I can guarantee it will be one of their favorites for many meals to come.
Serves 4 people
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic gloves, crushed
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (approx 2 cups)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground tumeric
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam cubed butternut squash until soft enough to poke with fork.
- While butternut squash is steaming, in a medium skillet over medium heat, add coconut oil and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger until softened.
- Once the butternut squash has cooled, add to the blender with sautéd mix, ground spices, vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with a side of bread or croutons.
Tip #1: Instead of using the 3 cups vegetable broth, try using the water that your butternut squash cooked in, it comes out just as, if not more, delicious!
Tip #2: Garnish with a parsley or coriander leaf as illustrated in the photo, it makes it look doubly delicious!